Safety around your home

Indoor safety tips

We need to be aware of the potential hazards associated with electricity so we can all stay safe. The following safety tips relate to electricity inside the home.

Most electrical accidents happen indoors so consider some of the following safety precautions

Plugs, cords and power boards

  • Replace damaged or frayed cords and extension leads.
  • When removing a plug from the power point, never pull on the power cord.
  • Use safety plugs in power points to keep your children safe.
  • Never use more than one adaptor or power board at a power point.
  • Only attach low powered appliances to power boards.


  • If you feel a shock or a tingle from an appliance, tap, laundry tub or showerhead in your home, do not touch or enter that area again and call us immediately to report it on 13 13 88.
  • Do not touch electrical appliances with wet hands.
  • Wear dry shoes with rubber soles when using electrical appliances in laundries, on wet floors, or outside.
  • Keep electrical appliances away from water even when switched off.
  • Do not use portable electric heaters in a bathroom - a fixed heater installed by an electrician is safer.
  • Read and follow the instructions that come with any new appliance you purchase.

Safety Precautions

Shocks or tingles from metal objects 

If you feel an electric shock or tingle after touching a metal surface in your home call triple zero on 000, and report the incident to Ausgrid's Emergency Line on 13 13 88

Stay away from all fixed metal objects, such as sinks, taps, kettles, stoves and laundry tubs, as well as any water sources which could conduct electricity, such as swimming pools and bathtubs.  

Do not turn off the power at the main electrical switch – in many cases, this switch is located inside a metal enclosure which can cause a shock if touched.    

  • Use only licensed electricians to carry out electrical work such as installing power points or repairing electrical faults.
  • Use safety switches at your fuse box or electrical outlet whenever possible - the safety switch detects most electrical faults which could pass through the human body causing electric shock.
  • Switch off the power before replacing light bulbs - be extra careful if your light is operated by a two-way switch.